Saturday, November 1, 2008

Abandoned but Found


Recently I found an abandoned black kitten on my Mom's doorstep, which is a common occurrence now-a-days. My Mom is now the Mother Theresa of all stray and feral cats in her neighborhood. He appeared to be about 2-3 weeks old to me, too young to survive on his own, death would be imminent without intervention. My motherly instincts kicked in, and I swooped him up, took him inside and ran back out to buy a kitten bottle and kitten milk. Not being able to have any human babies of my own, this will be my closest experience with motherhood. I have always admired Mom's, both stay at home and working outside the home Mom's. Now, I really ADMIRE them.

One couldn't imaging the upset, one tiny kitten, and 3am feedings could cause! Heating the milk while meows get louder and more demanding. Diarrhea, Dr. Appt's, kitten sitters, weaning, not to mention Introduction into the family which meant keeping my Min-pin Lily from stalking and eating him to not upsetting my senior Pug, Lukei with a small creature trying to attack his nose, again and again. It was a rough few weeks but we have survived. I am happy to say that Boo Boo aka Anakin (our last name is Walker so my husband named him Anakin Sky Walker- hoping one day he will grow up to be Darth Vader, I suppose) is sleeping through the night, eating kitten food, and is now best buddies with Lily. However, he and Lukei haven't quite found a re pore, I hope it will come in time.

Having only been in our community for 3 years, I have come to realize that the people here are somewhat backward when it comes to humane treatment of animals. There are no feral cat laws here, lack of facilities, and the only shelter we have does not have a spay/neuter policy.

I have recently been invited to a local Humane Society meeting and am looking forward to seeing how I can help educate and inform. I have also talked to my Vet who sees our local community problem as one of non-cooperation. Not only from the community but between the Humane Society and the Local Animal Shelter. I would love to be the bridge of communication and hope that I can be of help. If anyone has any ideas, please share.

3 comments:

Bar L. said...

I admire YOU for taking in this adorable little furball. I have a soft spot for black cats :)

It sounds like he's doing well. The name is great...I cracked up at the Darth Vader part.

The humane society is lucky to have someone like you that can get them up to speed on things....its scary to think they don't have those things in place but maybe you can get it rolling!!!

Regina Walker said...

Thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Hi Liljeani, Thanks for visiting me and adding me to your list of followed blogs! What a sweetie, Anakin! Oh my goodness, I'm talking baby talk to the picture.

My very best friend in the world, Lita Radford, is a homeopath for animals (and people, but her first love is the critters). Just like what you were saying happened with your mom, she has become the local pet rescue in her neighborhood. Check out her website when you get the chance. She's done WONDERS with animals that have been given death sentences by regular vets. http://www.pets4homeopathy.com/